Today I will be touching on a topic that I like to call "The battle of the seeds". We are considering doing comparisons for more seeds, so if you have a seed you would like compared - let us know and we can definitely look into it!
Last week we had a question from Alan who asked “I’ve been taking Chia Seeds now for some time, do you have a product that could replace it?”
Hemp Seeds and Chia Seeds are both considered to be ‘superfoods’ due to their high nutritional content. There’s so much information on the Internet about different superfoods and how they can benefit your health. When it comes to choosing what seeds to add into your diet this can be confusing, so we’ve broken down the benefits of each seed to help make your decision easier!
What do Hemp Seeds and Chia Seeds have in common?
Both Hemp Seeds and Chia Seeds are good sources of protein, essential fatty acids (omega 3 and omega 6), and fibre that play important roles in good health. Where they mainly differ is in their vitamin and mineral content. While Chia Seeds contain higher calcium, they do lack many of the other vitamins and minerals that Hemp Seeds contains.
Benefits of Hemp Seeds
- Contains all 9 essential amino acids and higher in overall protein essential for growth, recovery and optimal health (3)
- Perfect ratio of omega-3 to omega-6 (1:3) that is implicated in supporting anti-inflammation (4)
- Contains omega-6 fatty acid gamma-linolenic acid (GLA) that promotes healthy growth of skin, hair and nails (5)
- Higher in iron for immune function and energy production (6)
- Higher in magnesium for energy production, nerve, muscle and brain health (7)
- Higher in phosphorus important for bone health (8)
- Higher in potassium for nerve, muscle and heart health (9)
- Higher in zinc for immune function and nerve and brain health (10) (11)
- Higher amounts of antioxidants vitamin A, and vitamin E for optimal health (12) (13)
- Higher amounts of vitamin D for bone health and immune function (14) (15)
Benefits of Chia Seeds
- Higher in omega 3, but does not have perfect ratio of omega3:omega 6 that is indicated to be beneficial for anti-inflammation (16)
- Higher in fibre that supports digestive health (17)
- Higher in calcium that supports bone health (18)
While Chia Seeds are an excellent seed to include in the diet, Hemp Seeds could be to be considered to be an all-round better option due to it’s larger diversity and higher amounts of nutrients. While you don’t have to throw out your chia seeds, we suggest using 13 Seeds Hemp Seed range in conjunction with chia seeds to get the most for your health!
As always, if you have any questions that you would like to have answered surrounding general health, nutrition or our products - feel free to reach out and ask us at firstname.lastname@example.org!