Date Scones with Hemp Honey and Hemp Hearts
Some people say the origin of the word scone comes from the Dutch word 'schoonbrot', which means beautiful bread. Here's the 13 Seeds Hemp Farm founder Gemma's take on this traditional classic "beautiful bread":
175 g plain flour
50 g wholemeal flour
2 tablespoons 13 Seeds Hemp Hearts
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarb soda
½ teaspoon salt
75 g butter
6 dates, pitted and chopped
2 tablespoons 13 Seeds Hemp Honey
2-3 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- Heat the oven to 200o
- Place the flours, 13 Seeds Hemp Hearts, baking powder, bicarb soda and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the chopped dates over the mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey and yoghurt until well mixed.
- Stir the liquid mixture into the dry to form a soft dough.
- Sprinkle a little flour, then place the dough onto it.
- Knead lightly until you have a ball and transfer it to a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Press the dough into a shape about 20 cm round.
- Cut into eighths with a large knife.
- Bake on for 20 minutes.