The rich, spicy flavour of this delicious cake is thanks to our signature 13 Seeds Hemp Chai, which contains all the nutritious powers of natural hemp. The cake is prepared using our 13 Seeds Hemp Flour along with milk, eggs, butter, brown sugar, and more—all the classic ingredients from your favourite childhood bakes. Then the recipe takes the punchy flavours of chai spice up a notch by adding delicious fresh currants steeped in a hot bath of Hemp Chai. These sweet fruits are the perfect vehicle for the chai’s spicy flavour, and add a complexity to the batter that shines through in the finished product!
3 tablespoons 13 Seeds Hemp Chai
½ cup boiling water
1 cup currants
185g butter (about ¾ cup), softened
¾ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 cup plain flour
¼ cup 13 Seeds Hemp Flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 160°C and line a 22cm x 22cm cake tin with baking paper (if your tin is a different size, adjust the cooking time).
2. In a small bowl, mix the 13 Seeds Hemp Chai powder with the boiling water. Add the currants, press down and set aside for 10 minutes.
In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar and vanilla essence until pale and creamy.
4. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well to combine.
5. Add the flours, baking powder and milk, and beat until just combined.
6. Add the chai/currant mixture and beat to combine.
7. Spoon into the cake tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
8. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
9. Dust with icing sugar and serve with yoghurt.
Once you have tried this recipe, please let us know how they taste!
Also, please let us know your preparation time and servings so we can update the average's for our 13 Seeds Family!